Thursday, December 13, 2007

Secondhand Lions


This is horribly depressing. Maybe I'm cynical about the whole business, at this point, but when do we simply declare the so-called "steroids era" a level playing field by virtue of such a significant portion of players having juiced? Discounting the factor of whose 'roids are better, etc., a chemically enhanced pitcher squaring off against a chemically enhanced batter is, effectively, as "fair" a match-up as a clean pitcher vs. clean batter. I'm not trying to downplay what's clearly a problem that still needs addressed, but hasn't every era of the sport had its unique advantages? I mean, Ruth never had to fly across the country for an afternoon game in L.A. the day after playing an extra-innings night game in New York, not to mention play against a player whose skin wasn't white.

Another point that I think needs to be made is just how foolish and unfair (and racist) the media's epic crucifixion of Bonds has been. I sincerely doubt that any of the other players Mitchell outs is going to have to endure a fraction of the scrutiny and overreaction that Bonds has been subjected to these past several years. And I'm not just talking about obscure role-players, whose lack of headlines can be justified by their marginality as opposed to Bonds' high profile. I mean lionized Caucasians like Clemens and Pettitte (I write this as a diehard Yankees fan, mind you). It's not like, at least in the former's case, there hasn't been plenty of whispers and the occasional sports radio speculation, usually proceeded by listeners calling in to defend the Rocket's good name. Bonds haters love to play up his increased size and freakish continued improvement well into his 40's, but the same is just as true of Clemens, which, until now, we've mostly chosen to overlook or chalk up to good Texas breeding or whatever. I think they're both tremendous ballplayers, steroids notwithstanding, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this won't change Clemens' first-ballot HOF status, whereas Bonds may not get in at all. If I'm right, there's absolutely no excuse, except "I don't like blacks."